For orders of 100 or more the pens can be made in the following kinds of wood:
- Red Bush Willow. A hard wood brown to black, heavy, fine grained and termite resistant.
- Rose wood is deep reddish-brown, richly streaked and grained with black.
- Hard Pear is indigenous, hard, heavy and strong yellowish-brown wood. It is fine-textured with a wavy grain giving a characteristic rippled effect.
- South African Teak is well-known. It is hard attractive and moderately dense.
- Jackal Berry is not very common. It is a hard, pale reddish-brown wood. Sometimes it may be dark brown to almost black. It is close -grained and strong
- Partridge Wood is pale brown to greyish-yellow wood, with light -coloured bands, very coarse texture and slightly irregular grain.
- Red Ivory is a favourite of the Zulus. It is hard, unusual bright pink to red wood, very attractive with fine, curly grain